Jan Robert Polatschek
Thirty years of consulting and education experience in a variety of institutional and industrial settings with background instructing adults, children, and multi-cultural groups. Extensive international travel.
Board of Education, New York, New York:
High School Teacher of English.
- Taught Language Arts in urban location to high school students from African-American, Latin American, European and Asian heritage.
- Taught English as a Second Language to international students.
- Published high school yearbook.
The Plaza Hotel, New York, New York:
Director of Training.
- Designed and conducted training programs for hotel management and hourly staff.
- Wrote training manuals for hotel and restaurant operations.
- Coordinated high school diploma equivalency program.
- Taught Hospitality Management and Study Skills at New York Community College.
The Sheraton Corporation, Boston, MA:
Director of Training - North America Division.
- Established Sheraton Training Center. Trained management and sales candidates from the USA, Europe and the Middle East.
- Managed staff orientation and training for new hotel openings.
- Trained hotel training directors in curriculum development and presentation techniques.
- Designed and conducted seminars and conferences across the US for hotel executives and managers.
- Management Seminars were awarded college credit from American Council on Education.
Howard Johnson Company, Boston, MA:
Director of Headquarters Personnel.
- Managed Human Resources and Hotel Training Departments.
- Conducted outplacement seminars for executives and hourly staff.
The Personnel Collaborative, Boston, MA:
Founder and Owner.
- Advised hospitality and industrial companies on organization development and training issues.
- Published Guest Relations Program.
- Wrote and conducted Employee Attitude Survey.
- Taught English as a Second Language at Vietnam Society.
1996-2004 Piano Teacher, Miami, Florida.
- Taught Children and Adults – ages 5 – 82.
- Arranged and rehearsed student musical recitals.
- Volunteered at fund-raising events for public radio station WLRN FM.
2001-2018 Travel Writer, Miami and Bangkok.
- Contribute essays on Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, North India, Shanghai and Thailand to travel guides published by www.thingsasianpress.com.
- Publish travel letters and photographs on personal website: www.travelwithjan.com.
- Guest speaker at IOETI Tourism & Marketing Conference, Cairo, Egypt. "How to Create a Successful Travel Blog." December, 2011.
- Travel: Western, Central and Eastern Europe, The North Atlantic, The Middle East, North Africa, Australia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, East Asia, India, North, Central and South America.
The City College of New York
B.A. English Literature,
Graduate Study in English Literature and Secondary Education
Born in New Rochelle, New York, USA.